Monday, November 15, 2010

Discovering the Joys of Piano-Playing

During my younger days, learning to play the piano was like learning other subjects in school. I studied hard and practised hard so as to pass the ABRSM exams. Get distinctions, if possible.

My piano teacher put me to work on scales and Czerny's exercises so as to acquire "agility, independence, strength and perfect evenness in the fingers as well as suppleness of the wrist." My wrist must be kept high, my forearm stiff and the back of my hand flat enough to rest a coin on.

Oh yes, I possessed dexterity and technical skill. Sadly, because I was young, I lacked the power to interpret the music that I played.

After retirement, I have discovered the joys of piano-playing. I now have a greater capacity for working at details. I also have the time to practise.

Nowadays, I enjoy taking a difficult passage apart and playing it over and over until I get it right. There is so much pleasure in creating "a beautiful sound".

Hehe... I hope my neighbours feel the same as I do, and not complain of headaches because of the noise I am constantly making. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment