Monday, January 4, 2010

10th Year Priesthood of Reverand Father Peter Ng

On Sunday, 3 January 2010, my church celebrated the 10th Year Priesthood Anniversary of Rev Fr Peter Ng. It was a very special occasion for us, parishioners of the Church of St Henry (located opposite Sekolah Tinggi Batu Pahat), because Fr Peter grew up in Batu Pahat and was ordained a priest in Batu Pahat.

It was a special occasion for me, too. I taught Fr Peter when he was in Form 4 and 5, Sekolah Menengah Dato Bentara Luar. I was his Chemistry teacher.

I watched this fine young man finish his Form 5, went for further studies, started working and then.......gave up everything and studied to become a priest.



It is God who chooses certain young men to serve Him by becoming priests. He..he.. God certainly didn't choose my son, Matthew. When he was very young, I remember him telling Peter "I don't want to be a priest. I want to have lots and lots of girlfriends." :)

Though a vocation (or divine call) is something personal between that young man and God, it must be allowed to grow. And vocations can only grow out of happy homes where children are taught a true sense of values, holy homes where children learn reverence for religion.

I am told that there is a special place in heaven for parents who have given a child to God in religion. Even so, would I have protested if Matthew expressed interest in becoming a priest? ;p

Fr Peter is presently studying for his Masters in Theology. I pray for his success and wish him well in all his future undertakings.

1 comment:

  1. Ah well, I'll have the 7th Sacrament, please... and if I ever did express an interest, just splash a pail full of water on me, because I may have not been sober. HAHAHAHA...

    ReplyDelete